Fun Facts about London.
- What is Big Ben?? Most people have an impression that it's the name of the world famous clock, or perhaps the tower that houses it. Not true! The name actually refers to the 13 ton bell, while the tower is known as St. Stephen's Tower.
- About 25% of all people today living in London were born in another country.
- A culturally diverse and multi-ethnic city, London is home to people speaking over 300 languages.
- About sixteen percent of the UK's restaurants are located in London, and there are more Michelin-rated restaurants in London than in any city except for Paris.
- Each week, the 409 escalators in the London subway cover an astonishing distance: The equivalent of several trips around the globe!
- The Queen's official residence, Buckingham Palace, was built in 1702 on the site of a notorious brothel!
- Believe it or not, If London was a country it would be the 8th biggest in Europe.
- The Houses of Parliament also known as the Palace of Westminster, has over 1,100 rooms, 100 staircases and 3 miles (5 km) of corridors, as well as 19 bars and restaurants.
- In London the tube route from Leicester Square to Covenant Garden is the most popular tube route for tourists despite the fact that it is actually quicker to cover this distance on foot!
- The English are tea addicts: an Englishman drinks more tea than any person of any other nation (over twenty times more than Americans!).
- The London Eye is the tallest observation wheel in the world and each rotation takes about 30 minutes
Do you know any fun facts about London??
10 kommentarer på "Fun Facts about London."